Explore starry skies with a Limited Edition SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian! This special version of our best-selling 8″ Classic Dobsonian reflector telescope is not only a gorgeous ruby-red color, it’s also outfitted with two awesome accessories to enhance each viewing experience. An included 35mm Orion DeepView 2″ eyepiece lets you take advantage of the XT8’s smooth-adjusting 2″ Crayford focuser and enjoy wide, 56° views of 34x power through the telescope. This limited edition XT8 also includes our popular Shorty 2x Barlow lens which doubles the power of any 1.25″ eyepiece, including the 25mm Sirius Plossl that comes with the scope to provide 96x magnification views. When used by itself, the included 25mm telescope eyepiece provides 48x power for medium-magnification views.
The Limited Edition SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian is built around an 8″ (203mm) diameter parabolic primary mirror mounted in a cast-aluminum support cell. The mirror collects 78% more light than a 6″ mirror, so you get a significant increase in ability to observe dust lanes in nebulas, resolve the cores of prominent globular star clusters, and to reveal some of the more subtle structures in faint galaxies. The 1200mm focal length (f/5.9) XT8 mirror allows you to obtain clear and crisp views at moderate to high magnifications on clear nights with good seeing conditions. Enhanced-reflectivity mirror coatings boost the XT8 Classic Dobsonian’s mirror to 94% reflectivity so as much light as possible is transmitted to the eyepiece, for clear and bright views.
The Dobsonian base of the XT8 Classic provides a simple and stable low-profile altazimuth platform for the 8″ aperture reflector optical tube. The tube attaches securely to the base by virtue of Orion’s CorrecTension Friction Optimization system, which utilizes heavy-duty springs to both securely couple the tube to the base, and to keep the telescope in constant balance to avoid drifting during observations. Even with large 2″ eyepieces and accessories installed, the XT8 Dobsonian telescope optical tube will remain balanced throughout your viewing sessions.
The Limited Edition SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian features a 2″ Crayford focuser that accepts both 1.25″ and 2″ accessories. Focus adjustments are smooth, accurate, and virtually free of backlash and flexure, even with heavier 2″ accessories installed.
An included Orion EZ Finder II reflex sight allows you to easily and accurately aim the 8″ Classic Dobsonian. Also included are a quick collimation cap for easy mirror alignment, dust caps for the reflector telescope tube and focuser, and a digital download insert for free Starry Night SE astronomy software.
The Orion Limited Edition XT8 Classic Dobsonian telescope can conveniently be separated into two pieces for easy transport and storage. By unhooking the two CorrecTension springs from the Dobsonian base you can detach the 46.5″ long optical tube. The Limited Edition XT8 reflector optical tube weighs 20.3 lbs., while the 19″ diameter Dobsonian base tips the scales at 20.7 lbs. With an assembled weight of 41 lbs., the XT8 Classic Dobsonian can be easily moved to and from your favorite observing site, whether it’s just a few steps out the back door, or many miles down the road.
A great telescope with the optical strength to please serious beginners and veteran skygazers alike, the Orion Limited Edition SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian reflector will provide years of astronomical adventure for you and your whole family. Order now before this limited edition Dobsonian reflector telescope sells out!
Meets or exceeds all California State Environmental Quality & Safety Regulations (CARB 93120 Phase 2 Compliant).
Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only. For complete warranty details contact us
- Best for viewing – Brighter deep sky
Best for imaging -Lunar & planetary
- User level – Beginner
- Optical design – Reflector
- Optical diameter – 203mm
- Focal length – 1200mm
- Focal ratio – f/5.9
- Optics type – Parabolic
- Glass material – Low thermal expansion borosilicate glass
- Eyepieces – Sirius Plossl 25.0mm (1.25″),DeepView 35.0mm (2″)
- Magnification with included eyepieces – 48x, 34x
- Resolving power – 0.57arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification – 29x
- Highest useful magnification – 300x
- Highest theoretical magnification – 406x
- Limiting stellar magnitude – 14.2
- Optical quality – Diffraction limited
- Finder scope – EZ Finder II
- Focuser – 2″ Crayford
- Secondary mirror obstruction – 47mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter – 23%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area – 5%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings – Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type – Dobsonian
- Bearing material – PTFE and UHMW bearings
- Tube material – Steel
- Tripod material – Wood
- Length of optical tube – 46.5 in.
- Weight, optical tube – 20.3 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod – 20.7 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled – 41.0 lbs.
- Additional included accessories – Included accessories may vary for 2nds, Substitutions may be made
- Other features – 2nds are covered by Orion’s Satisfaction Guarantee
- Warranty – One year
In the Box
Orion Limited Edition SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Reflector Aperture Optical Tube Assembly
- 35mm Orion DeepView telescope eyepiece, 1.25″
- Orion Shorty 2x Barlow lens, 1.25″
- 25mm Orion Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece, 1.25″
- EZ Finder II reflex sight
- Collimation cap
- Dust cap
- 2″ Crayford-style focuser
- 2″-to-1.25″ telescope eyepiece adapter
- Spring coils
- Pull loops
- Nylon spacers
- 1/4″ washers
- Phillips-head screws
- Screws with round knob attached
- Left panel
- Right panel
- Front brace
- Top base plate
- Ground base plate
- Base assembly screws
- Hex key
- Plastic feet
- Feet attachment wood screws
- Self-adhesive rubber bumper
- Large hex-head bolt
- 3/8″ washers
- 3/8″ lock nut
- Nylon spacer
- Socket-head cap screws
- 5/16″ washers
- 5/16″ nuts
- Hex key
- Starry Night Special Edition astronomy software