Our StarSeeker IV 114mm GoTo Reflector Telescope presents a winning combination of motorized object-location technology and great optical performance at an unbelievably low price. This smart GoTo telescope will lead you and your family on a guided tour of the stars on any clear night.
Featuring a compact reflector optical tube with a short, 500mm focal length and fast f/4.4 focal ratio, the lightweight StarSeeker IV 114mm Reflector collects lots of light with its 4.5″ aperture, parabolic mirror for bright, wide-field views. The entire telescope setup weighs just 18 lbs. for easy transportability.
The included Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo Mount boasts a state-of-the-art object location system that makes finding celestial objects in the night sky easy and fun. The mount is now offered without the SynScan Hand Controller to both save you money and let you control your telescope wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet using the FREE SynScan Pro app. The SynScan Pro app is available for iOS and Android devices.
(NOTE: The StarSeeker IV GoTo Mount is compatible with the SynScan hand controller, which is available for purchase as an optional accessory, should you prefer a dedicated, cabled handset over controlling your telescope wirelessly by smartphone or tablet. Find it under “We Also Suggest” at right.)
The free SynScan Pro app boasts a database of over 10,000 deep-sky objects, so you will never run out of fascinating celestial gems to observe and study! Once you select and locate an object from one of the SynScan Pro app’s intuitive object menus, the StarSeeker IV GoTo Mount’s dual servo motors will automatically track the object’s motion across the sky to keep it in your instrument’s field of view. Even a novice stargazer will quickly learn how to explore the heavens with this high-tech mount and app in just a couple of sessions. One really cool feature: the “Tour” mode identifies the best objects visible at the time you’re observing and will lead you right to them!
This fourth generation StarSeeker telescope features dual optical encoders on each axis of motion which allow you to move the telescope tube either manually by hand, or electronically by using the directional arrows on the SynScan Pro app. Moving the telescope manually will not require a re-do of the GoTo alignment.
This Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo Telescope setup includes an array of terrific accessories:
Download the FREE SynScan Pro app to control your telescope wirelessly with your IOS or Android smartphone or tablet!
It contains a database of over 42,000 celestial objects — including stars, double stars, galaxies, nebulas, and star clusters — and intuitive menus that will let you find any of them with just a tap or two of your finger.
Two wide-field 1.25″ eyepieces give you low and high power viewing options.
The included 23mm and 10mm wide-field eyepieces provide 21.7x and 50x magnification, respectively, in the 114mm reflector optical tube. Each included eyepiece has a wide, 60° apparent field-of-view to show you more of the target objects and its surroundings.
The Orion EZ Finder II reflex sight makes it “EZ” to center alignment stars.
Use the included EZ Finder II reflex sight to help center initial alignment stars when performing the two-star alignment required for accurate GoTo performance. This non-magnifying sighting device superimposes a tiny, LED-powered red dot, focused at infinity, on the sky. After a simple alignment procedure, the red dot shows exactly where your telescope is pointed.
The MoonMap 260 lets you identify craters and other features on the Moon.
Use the MoonMap 260 to locate and identify 260 intersting craters, mountains, “seas” and more on the lunar surface. It will even show you the locations of NASA spacecraft landing sites!
Use the included DeepMap 600 Folding Star Chart to plan deep sky observing adventures!
This “road map” of the cosmos will show you just where to look in the night sky to find interesting objects to explore. Color-coded symbols identify more than 500 of the coolest galaxies, nebulas and star clusters – including all 109 Messier objects – as well as some 100 interesting double and variable stars. DeepMap folds up like a road map for easy packing, and it’s printed on durable dew-proof material for worry-free outdoor use.
The StarSeeker IV GoTo mount with its slanted, single-arm altazimuth design provides attached telescopes with 360° of azimuth motion and 90° of altitude motion for horizon-to-zenith pointing. A quick-release narrow dovetail saddle makes telescope attachment nice and easy. The StarSeeker IV 114mm GoTo Reflector Telescope features an upgraded cylindrical leg stainless steel tripod that is much sturdier than previous models and adjusts in height for comfortable use. Tripod stability is further enhanced with the included dual-purpose spreader plate/accessory holder, which keeps the tripod rigid and provides a handy area for stowing idle eyepieces and accessories.
Since the StarSeeker IV 114mm GoTo Reflector Telescope can locate and track celestial objects with its motorized GoTo system, you can use it along with a camera or smartphone to take impressive pictures of the night sky. Capture stunning snapshots of the Moon, planets and more by attaching a dedicated astrophotography camera, or a combination of an Orion SteadyPix accessory and your own point-and-shoot camera or smartphone. (Cameras and SteadyPix accessories sold separately.)
Each StarSeeker IV telescope is powered by 8 internally stored AA batteries (not included). A 12V DC auto-lighter plug is included for use of optional 12V DC field battery.
Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only. For complete warranty details contact us.
Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
- Best for viewing – Lunar & bright deep sky
- Best for imaging – Lunar & planetary
- User level – Beginner
- Optical design – Reflector
- Optical diameter – 114mm
- Focal length – 500mm
- Focal ratio – f/4.4
- Coatings – Enhanced aluminum
- Optics type – Parabolic
- Glass material – Low thermal expansion glass
- Eyepieces – 3-Element 23.0mm (1.25″)
- Magnification with included eyepieces – 22x, 50x
- Resolving power – 1.02arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification – 16x
- Highest useful magnification – 135x
- Highest theoretical magnification – 228x
- Limiting stellar magnitude – 13.1
- Optical quality – Diffraction limited
- Finder scope – EZ Finder II
- Focuser – 1.25″ Rack-and-pinion
- Mount type – Altazimuth
- Astro-imaging capability – Lunar & planetary
- Motor drive compatibility – Clock drive included
- Computerized compatibility – Go-To system
- Alignment procedure – Two-Star Alignment
- Number of objects in database – More than 10,000 deep sky objects
- Tracking rates – Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Motor speeds – Ten different slewing speeds from 0.5x sidereal to over 600x sidereal
- Motor type – DC Servo motors with encoders
- Power requirement – 8-AA batteries or 12-volt DC
- GPS – Sold separately
- Polar-axis scope – Included
- Available ports – RS-232
- Tube material – Steel
- Tripod material – Steel
- Tripod leg diameter – 1.25 in.
- Length of optical tube – 16.2 in.
- Weight, mount/tripod – 13.4 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled – 18.0 lbs.
- Additional included accessories – 12V DC power cable, Orion DeepMap 600 star chart and MoonMap 260, Quick collimation cap
- Other features – Mount is Wi-Fi enabled for wireless control, Control via smartphone with FREE SynScan Pro app, Built-in holder for 8 AA batteries (not included)
- Warranty – One year
In the Box
- StarSeeker IV 114mm optical tube assembly
- StarSeeker IV GoTo mount and tripod
- EZ Finder II reflex sight
- 23mm wide-field 60° AFOV eyepiece, 1.25″
- 10mm wide-field 60° AFOV eyepiece, 1.25″
- Accessory tray
- 12V DC power cable (auto lighter plug to 2.1/5.5mm plug)
- Quick-collimation cap
- Liquid-filled compass
- MoonMap 260
- DeepMap 600
- Allen key, 2mm